AA County Police: Holiday Shopping Safety a Priority
Offer tips for staying safe this holiday shopping season.
As we inch closer and closer to the winter holidays, it is important that we stay safe during our shopping sprees by remaining alert and aware of our surroundings as we leave the stores and head to the parking lot.
The Anne Arundel County Police Department wants you to know that your safety is also their priority. To monitor the safety of holiday shoppers, the department has now implemented its holiday patrols. County residents can expect to see a greater police presence and increased visibility in and around shopping centers and malls.
"The Crime Prevention Section will be handing out fliers as part of their anti-theft campaign and bike patrols will supplement the holiday patrols," said Justin Mulcahy of the department's pulic information office. "The police department will continue this proactive approach to help ensure the safety of all county residents and visitors patronizing county businesses."
The department also issued the following safety tips for county residents:
- Keep your keys in your hand when walking out to your car;
- Park your vehicle as close as possible to street lights;
- Take advantage of mall escort services to your vehicle;
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity, as criminals may attempt to distract you in an attempt to take your money or belongings;
- Avoid carrying large amounts of money and keep your wallet or money in your front pockets;
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times;
- Store all merchandise in your vehicle out of view, preferably in a secure place such as the trunk of your vehicle;
- Keep devices such as portable GPS units, laptop computers and MP3 listening devices out of view; and
- Record serial numbers off of items or take pictures of serial numbers and items in the event your belongings are lost or stolen.