Arnold Senior Center Announces June Events
A variety of events await seniors at the center this month.
Arnold Senior Activity Center, located at 44 Church Rd. in Arnold, has announced its events lineup for June. For more information, call the center at 410-222-1922, or visit the Department of Aging at its website.
- June 6—The Anne Arundel County Retired Teachers’ Chorus will perform from 1 to 2 p.m. The concert by county retired music professionals is free.
- June 13—Learn “25 Low-Cost Ways to Adapt Your Home for Aging in Place” from 10 to 11 a.m. Sign up by June 11.
- June 15—Summer class registration will end on June 15. Classes start July 2. There is an $80 registration fee for all students. Students under age 60 also pay $40 per course. Course offerings are on the website at www.aacounty.org/aging under the Arnold Center’s listing.
- June 18—A Father’s Day Cookout will be held at noon, with grilled hot dogs and hamburgers, potato salad, drinks and dessert. The cost is $3. Sign up by June 13.
- June 5, 12, 19—For the first three Tuesdays in June, Jim Rooney, weekly columnist for The Capital, will answer questions from attendees regarding home maintenance issues during “Small Home Repairs” from 10 to 11:30 a.m. each Tuesday. The topics include plumbing, electrical, permitting, roofing and other projects.
- June 20—The AARP Driver Safety Course will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cost is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Insurance companies sometimes offer discounts to those who complete the course. Sign up by June 18, when payment is due. You must show an AARP membership card and your driver’s license.
- June 20—Ryan Helfenbein, columnist for OutLook by the Bay magazine, will discuss “Ask the Undertaker: Let’s Make a Plan” at 10 a.m. Enjoy refreshments in a relaxed environment while he answers questions and provides information on individual plans for a funeral or cremation service.
- June 25—Sign up by June 22 for the Grandparents’ Special Movie, Dolphin Tale, at noon June 25. Bring your grandchildren and enjoy an afternoon at the movies. The cost is $2 and includes the movie, popcorn and drink.
Anne Arundel County Senior Activity Centers offer free memberships for individuals 55 or older who are active, self-sufficient, and able to function independently. For more information, visit your local senior center to obtain orientation materials and take a tour.
Adults 55 or older who need assistance with daily living activities, or their caregivers, should contact Information and Assistance at 410-222-4257 to learn more about alternatives to Senior Activity Centers.