Elle Woods, her sorority sisters and the halls of Harvard are coming to the Children’s Theatre of Annapolis (CTA) in Broadneck this January in Legally Blonde: The Musical.
Broadneck High School sophomore Colleen Coleman, of Arnold, stars as Woods, and Severna Park High School senior Austin Heemstra of Severna Park plays Emmett Forrest in the student-led musical which debuts locally on Jan. 11.
The musical incarnation of the 2001 film tells the story of strong-willed sorority girl Elle Woods, who follows her college sweetheart—who has just dumped her—to Harvard Law School. The musical’s tunes include “Chip on My Shoulder,” “Positive,” and “Bend and Snap!”
In addition to Coleman and Heemstra, the musical features:
- Archbishop Spalding High School junior Emily Freeman of Bowie as Brooke Wyndham
- Annapolis Area Christian School junior Zeke Ouellette of Gambrills as the Warner Huntington III
- Broadneck High School junior Maddie Poole of Annapolis as Vivienne Kensington
- Severna Park High School sophomore Mac Smith of Severna Park as Professor Callahan
- Broadneck High School junior Mariel White of Arnold as Paullette Buonofonte
- Elle’s dog Bruiser is played by Roxy Shaw, a Yorkie from Annapolis.
The production is directed and choreographed by Jason Kimmell, with musical director Joshua Konick by his side. Kimmell was last seen in CTA’s production of “Grease: The School Version,” which he choreographed, while CTA alum Konick also music-directed the show in January 2012.
CTA’s production of Legally Blonde: The Musical is an MTI-approved adapted version of the original musical that’s been revised to be more suitable for younger audiences. However, due to mature themes, parental discretion is advised for children under 12.
Tickets are now available for Legally Blonde: The Musical for 7:30 p.m. January 11, 12, 19 and 20, as well as 2 p.m. Jan. 12, 13, 20 and 21. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for seniors over 60 and kids 12 and under.