Weekend: Jan. 28-30
Music and plunging take the top spots in our weekend picks.
Whether its opera or rock, plunging or eating, there is plenty of things to do to enjoy the weekend here in the Broadneck area.
1) Polar Bear Plunge – Join the thousands that will be heading to Sandy Point Park this weekend for this great event benefitting the Maryland Special Olympics. For a $50 pledge, you can take a tip in the freezing waters of the Chesapeake Bay. Special activities include a visit from DJ Pauly D of Jersey Shore in the Rams Head Ice Lodge, a Carnival FunFest tent for families, the Chesapeake Bayhawks Artic Lacrosse Zone, and a Mickey Harris Monster Garage tent. Check-in starts at 8 a.m. Plunges are at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. For more information, go to www.plungemd.com.
2) The Music Department of Anne Arundel Community College presents the operetta “The Mikado” on Friday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Pascal Center for Performing Arts on the Anne Arundel Community College’s Arnold Campus. Tickets are $20 general admission; $12 students, AACC faculty and staff, senior citizens and groups; and $5 students with valid AACC student ID. For more information, contact the Box Office at 410-777-2457 or email@example.com.
3) County Battle of the Bands – Come out and cheer for Broadneck-based bands Yesterday’s Escape and Capstone who will be competing against the representatives of other local high schools at the annual event at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts in Annapolis, on Saturday, 5 – 10 p.m. Tickets are $15. All proceeds from the concert are donated directly to the winning school's music program.
4) Entertainment at Griffin’s – Griffin’s Grill offers some live entertainment this weekend featuring Nautical Wheelers on Friday and Crazy Daze on Saturday, both at 8:30 p.m. Nautical Wheelers describe their style as “Trop Rock” and island music (think Jimmy Buffett) but they also perform a variety of other styles from country to classic rock (Eagles/Crosby Stills Nash & Young, etc.).
5) Asbury United Methodist Church Spaghetti Dinner – This annual event will be held from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. in the church’s Fellowship Hall, located at 78 Church Road in Arnold. Snowdate is February 4th.