Baltimore media outlets are reporting former Ravens owner Art Modell has died.
FOX45 began reporting around 6 a.m. that Modell had died. On its website, FOX45 reported that Modell, 87, was being treated for heart failure.
Gov. Martin O'Malley's office issued a statement shortly after 8 a.m.
“Baltimore and the State of Maryland mourn the loss today of former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell.
“Respected by his players and beloved by his family and Baltimore football fans, Art brought the game and spirit of football back to Baltimore. He helped reinvigorate Baltimoreans’ sense of pride in their team and their City. As we prepare for another exciting season of Ravens football and Purple Fridays, let us all take a moment to remember Art and his family in our thoughts and prayers.”
The Sun reported early Thursday morning that Modell had been hospitalized at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
Modell sold the Ravens to Steve Bisciotti in two parts—49 percent ownership in 2000, and the remaining 51 percent in 2004.
He moved the Ravens to Baltimore before the start of the 1996 season. The Ravens won the Super Bowl in January 2001.